Most of the features present in other BitTorrent clients are present in µTorrent, including RSS auto-downloading, bandwidth prioritization, Mainline DHT and scheduling(compatible with BitComet).
Additionally, µTorrent supports the Protocol Encryption joint specification ) and peer exchange.
µTorrent was written with efficiency in mind. Unlike many torrent clients, it does not hog valuable system resources - typically using less than 6MB of memory, allowing you to use the computer as if it weren't there at all. Additionally, the program itself is contained within a single executable less than 170 KB in size.
Various icon, toolbar graphic and status icon replacements are available, and creating your own is very simple.
µTorrent also has support for localization, and with a language file present, will automatically switch to your system language. If your language isn't available, you can easily add your own, or edit other existing translations to improve them!
The developer puts in a lot of time working on features and making things more user-friendly. Releases only come out when they're ready, with no schedule pressures, so the few bugs that appear are quickly addressed and fixed.
Here are some key features of "µTorrent":
· Multiple simultaneous downloads
· Configurable bandwidth scheduler
· Global and per-torrent speed limiting
· Quick-resumes interrupted transfers
· RSS Downloader
· Trackerless support (Mainline DHT)
· Password-protected boss key
· Global run-command feature on torrent completion/state change
· UDP proxying for SOCKS5
· Proxy privacy features
· Improved set download location/relocate feature (now moves files for you)
· Show add torrent dialog for magnet links
· Add option to pause torrents when user activity is detected on the computer
· Windows 95 users will need to install the Winsock2 Update from Microsoft for µTorrent to work correctly.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Change: health bar is green now
· Fix: crashes
· Fix: µTorrent can hang if checking thousands of torrents
Reasons why this program is marked as ad-supported:
· Offers to change the homepage for web browsers installed in the system
· Offers to change the default search engine for web browsers installed in the system
· Offers to download or install software or components (µTorrent Browser Bar) that the program does not require to fully function
· Displays ad banners or other types of advertising material during its runtime